10 Free and Fun Activities for Kids in Ogden Utah!
If you’re a local or just visiting Ogden, Utah, you’ll be pleased to know it’s one of the best places in the United States for family-friendly fun! Nestled between Salt Lake City and Park City, Ogden offers a unique blend of urban and outdoor experiences that kids of all ages will love.
1. Historic 25th Street
A stroll down Ogden’s Historic 25th Street is like taking a step back in time. With its charming boutiques, restaurants, and events throughout the year, it’s a perfect spot for families. Plus, children can learn about the city’s rich history.
- Engage in scavenger hunts to spot historical landmarks.
- Delight in street performers juggling, dancing, and more.
- Taste test old-fashioned candies at local boutiques.
2. Ogden Botanical Garden
Located in the heart of the city, the Ogden Botanical Garden is a green oasis perfect for a family day out. Kids can run around, learn about various plant species, and enjoy the serene atmosphere.
- Join guided tours to discover exotic plants.
- Engage in seasonal workshops like butterfly spotting or leaf art.
- Navigate a mini treasure hunt, following clues linked to plants.
3. Snow Fun at Ogden Valley
Come winter, Ogden Valley transforms into a snowy paradise. Families can engage in snowboarding, skiing, or simply enjoy the beautiful winter landscape.
- Build the quirkiest snowman in snow sculpting competitions.
- Join beginner skiing lessons tailored for kids.
- Revel in snow-tubing sessions down gentle slopes.
4. Bear Lake Adventure
Though a bit of a drive from Ogden, Bear Lake is worth the trip. With its crystal clear waters and sandy shores, kids can splash around, build sandcastles, or embark on a boating adventure.
- Hunt for unique pebbles along the shores.
- Enroll in mini sailing or kayaking workshops.
- Join a lakeside campfire evening with marshmallow roasting.
5. Indoor Fun at the Local Museums
For those rainy days or when you just want to stay indoors, Ogden boasts a range of museums that are both educational and fun for kids.
- Unravel mysteries of the universe at local planetariums.
- Get hands-on with interactive exhibits at children’s museums.
- Attend craft sessions inspired by museum displays.
6. Explore a Corn Maze
In autumn, various farms around Ogden offer corn mazes which are not just fun but also challenging for both kids and adults.
- Race against time in maze-solving contests.
- Enjoy tractor rides with panoramic farm views.
- Revel in evening lantern-lit maze walks.
7. National Parks Trip
While not exactly in Ogden, the proximity to some of the most beautiful national parks in the country means that a family day trip is a must. Discover the natural wonders and instill a love for nature in your children.
- Junior Ranger programs to discover park secrets.
- Guided tours focusing on local wildlife spotting.
- Photography challenges capturing the park’s beauty.
8. Water Fun near Salt Lake
During the summer months, the lakes and pools around Salt Lake provide a refreshing break from the heat. Kids can learn to paddle, swim, or just play around.
- Enroll in mini paddle-boarding lessons.
- Dive into inflatable obstacle courses on the water.
- Attend underwater treasure hunt events.
9. Ogden’s Lush Parks
The Ultimate Playground! Bask in the beauty of Ogden’s verdant parks. Here, kids can:
- Engage in treetop adventure courses.
- Revel in nature-themed storytelling sessions.
- Partake in park-wide scavenger hunts.
10. Historic Trains at Union Station
Choo-Choo into the Past! Let locomotive wonder spark in your child’s eyes. Activities include:
- Interactive sessions about steam engines.
- Themed train rides, from mystery adventures to wildlife spottings.
- Craft sessions to build mini train replicas.
Bonus: Free Activities!
Many parks and trails in and around Ogden are free. You can also check out local events and festivals which often have free entry and are kid-friendly.
When the Skies Turn Grey: Rainy Day Activities
Apart from museums, Ogden offers indoor climbing centers, bowling alleys, and kid-friendly cafes where families can have fun even when the weather isn’t perfect.
From the bustling Historic 25th Street to the tranquility of Ogden Botanical Garden, from snowy escapades in Ogden Valley to summer splashes near Salt Lake, there’s no shortage of fun activities for kids in Ogden, Utah.
Whether you’re a resident or just passing by, this city ensures your children have an unforgettable time.